The office of the Borough Engineer is responsible for the following tasks within the Borough:
- General engineering services
- Design of infrastructure improvements
- Roadway resurfacing
- Review of street opening applications
- Assists the Department of Public Works (DPW) on sanitary sewer and storm drain maintenance
- Assists the Department of Public Works (DPW) on traffic signal maintenance
- Assists the Building Department and Planning Board regarding site plan reviews.
Road Opening Permits
The requirements for road opening permits are outlined in Chapter 161 Streets and Sidewalks of the Borough’s ordinance . - pdf Download the application. (10 KB) Completed applications are to be submitted to the Borough building department at 250 Hollister Road.
The traffic signals within the Borough are owned and operated by various agencies. Below please find a summary of ownership jurisdiction of the following intersections:
Teterboro (Three locations)
- Green Street and North Street
- Industrial Avenue and Teterboro Landing Driveway
- Industrial Avenue and Malcolm Avenue
Note: The timing of the two (2) Industrial Avenue signals are controlled by the NJSEA as part of a regional network
Other traffic signals within the Borough are controlled by the following agencies
County of Bergen (One location)
- Huyler Street and North Street
New Jersey Department of Transportation (NJDOT) (Four locations)
- Route US 46 and Huyler Street
- Route US 46 and Industrial Avenue
- Route US 46 Eastbound ramp at Green Street
- Route US 46 Westbound ramp at Green Street
Coordination with NJSEA
The Engineer’s office does NOT review or issue Zoning Certificates and Certificates of Continued Occupancy for properties within the NJSEA District in the Borough of Teterboro. The NJSEA jurisdiction within the Borough are limited to properties south of Route US 46 (excluding Teterboro Airport. Please consult the Building Department or the NJSEA to obtain the appropriate guidance.
The Teterboro Department of Public Works (DPW) garage and offices are located at 250 Hollister Road.
The DPW is directly responsible for maintaining the Borough's streets and roads, buildings and grounds, sanitary sewer and drainage.
- Residential Recycling
- Snow Plowing / Salting
- Pothole Repair
- Street Sweeping
- Traffic Safety
- General Maintenance Of Municipal Buildings And Grounds.
- Sanitary Sewer And Pump Station(s) Maintenance and Management.
- Stormwater Management Vincent Place Pump Station/ Catch Basins And Stormwater Conveyances.
The public works department will pick up recycling during normal work hours at curbside every Wednesday.
Glass bottles, aluminum cans, tin cans and plastic bottles - which can be comingled and placed in containers free of garbage and food waste.
Newspaper, magazines, office paper and junk mail which can be comingled and placed in containers
Cardboard: Loose or bundled
Leaves: Bagged only in plastic bags or paper bags
Residental Garbage Collection
Contracted Garbage Hauler
Joseph Smentkowski, Inc.
160 James Avenue
Jersey City, NJ 07307
Residential garbage, waste and refuse only will be picked up every Monday and Friday between the hours of 6:00 am and 5:00 pm.
Bulky trash, which includes household furnishings, appliances, building materials, construction and demolition materials, wood scraps, carpet, furniture, bed mattresses, box springs, lumber, etc. Will only be picked up on the second Monday of each month.
Bagged leaves, grass clippings, and branches will be picked up every Wednesday by the Public Works Department
Household Hazardous Waste
The Bergen County Utilities Authority offers a household hazardous waste collections program for all other hard to dispose of materials and waste free to Bergen County residents. Call the BCUA environmental program hotline at 201-807-5825 or you can visit them online at BCUA.org for collection dates, drop off locations and accepted materials.
Route 46 Pothole Information
Potholes on Route 46 are maintained by the New Jersey Department of Transportation. To file a highway maintenance report, please visit NJDOT Pothole Repair.