The position of the Borough Clerk is required by New Jersey Statute N.J.S.A. 40A:9-133 and, therefore, the Borough Clerk is responsible for many statutory duties.
The duties of the Clerk include the following:
- Secretary of the Municipal Corporation
- Secretary to the Governing Body
- Chief Administration Officer of all Elections held in the Municipality
- Chief Registrar of Voters in the Municipality
- Administrative Officer
- Records Coordinator and Manager
- Licensing including marriage licenses and tax/limo licenses
- Minutes of the Council Meetings
- General Information Office
The Municipal Clerk receives all requests under the Open Public Records Act (OPRA). OPRA applies to requests for records, not requests for isolated facts. In order to be considered a valid request under OPRA, the request must identify the specific record(s) desired and the request must be submitted to the records custodian of the public agency that has the record. A New Jersey Appeals Court recently ruled that requestors do not need to use the agency’s records request form but any request must include all required information.